List of GRADE working group publications and grants
New: The 2011 JCE series provides a 20-part guide for systematic review and health technology assessment authors, guideline panelists and methodologists on how to apply the GRADE methodology framework in more detail. For easier access (and with updated links to the free full text), please go here.
Clinicians and policy-making users and anyone new to GRADE may want to consider first reading the following 6-part BMJ series from 2008.
The 6-part 2008 BMJ series: Note, that the online text is the longer, full version of the submitted manuscript. The pdf on BMJ's website is an abbreviated print issue version. Clinicians and policy-making users and anyone new to GRADE may consider reading this series first.
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Vist G, Kunz R, Falck-Ytter Y, Alonso-Coello P, Schünemann HJ, for the GRADE Working Group.
Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.
BMJ 2008;336:924-926 or [pdf]
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Kunz R, Vist GE, Falck-Ytter Y, Schünemann HJ; GRADE Working Group.
Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: What is "quality of evidence" and why is it important to clinicians?
BMJ. 2008 May 3;336(7651):995-8
- Schünemann HJ, Oxman AD, Brozek J, Glasziou P, Jaeschke R, Vist GE, Williams JW Jr, Kunz R, Craig J, Montori VM, Bossuyt P, Guyatt GH; GRADE Working Group.
Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations for diagnostic tests and strategies.
BMJ. 2008 May 17;336(7653):1106-10
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Kunz R, Jaeschke R, Helfand M, Liberati A, Vist GE, Schünemann HJ; GRADE working group.
Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: Incorporating considerations of resources use into grading recommendations.
BMJ. 2008 May 24;336(7654):1170-3
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Kunz R, Falck-Ytter Y, Vist GE, Liberati A, Schünemann HJ; GRADE Working Group.
Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: Going from evidence to recommendations.
BMJ. 2008 May 10;336(7652):1049-51
- Jaeschke R, Guyatt GH, Dellinger P, Schünemann H, Levy MM, Kunz R, Norris S, Bion J; GRADE working group.
Use of GRADE grid to reach decisions on clinical practice guidelines when consensus is elusive.
BMJ. 2008 Jul 31;337:a744
- Kerwin AJ, Haut ER, Burns JB, Como JJ, Haider A, Stassen N, Dahm P; Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Practice Management Guidelines Ad Hoc Committee.
The Eastern Association of the Surgery of Trauma approach to practice management guideline development using Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE) methodology.
J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Nov;73(5 Suppl 4):S283-7
- Ahmed F, Temte JL, Campos-Outcalt D, Schünemann HJ; for the ACIP Evidence Based Recommendations Work Group (EBRWG).
Methods for developing evidence-based recommendations by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Vaccine. 2011 Nov 15;29(49):9171-9176. Epub 2011 Aug 11.
- Jonathan Hsu, Jan L Brozek, Luigi Terraciano, Julia Kreis, Enrico Compalati, Airton TETELBOOM Stein, Alessandro Fiocchi and Holger J Schunemann.
Application of GRADE: Making Evidence-Based Recommendations about Diagnostic Tests in Clinical Practice Guidelines.
Implementation Science 2011, 6:62
- Canfield SE, Dahm P.
Rating the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations using GRADE.
World J Urol. 2011 Mar 9.
- Terracciano L, Brozek J, Compalati E, Schünemann H.
GRADE system: new paradigm.
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Aug;10(4):377-83.
- Brożek JL, Bousquet J, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bonini S, Canonica GW, Casale TB, van Wijk RG, Ohta K, Zuberbier T, Schünemann HJ.
Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines: 2010 Revision.
J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Sep;126(3):466-76. (GRADE evidence profiles: [pdf])
- Falck-Ytter Y, Schünemann H, Guyatt G.
AHRQ series commentary 1: rating the evidence in comparative effectiveness reviews.
J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 May;63(5):474-5. Epub 2010 Feb 26.
- Owens DK, Lohr KN, Atkins D, Treadwell JR, Reston JT, Bass EB, Chang S, Helfand M.
AHRQ series paper 5: grading the strength of a body of evidence when comparing medical interventions--agency for healthcare research and quality and the effective health-care program.
J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 May;63(5):513-23.
- Brozek JL, Akl EA, Jaeschke R, Lang DM, Bossuyt P, Glasziou P, Helfand M, Ueffing E, Alonso-Coello P, Meerpohl J, Phillips B, Horvath AR, Bousquet J, Guyatt GH, Schünemann HJ; GRADE Working Group.
Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations in clinical practice guidelines: Part 2 of 3. The GRADE approach to grading quality of evidence about diagnostic tests and strategies.
Allergy. 2009 Aug;64(8):1109-16.
- Brozek JL, Akl EA, Alonso-Coello P, Lang D, Jaeschke R, Williams JW, Phillips B, Lelgemann M, Lethaby A, Bousquet J, Guyatt GH, Schünemann HJ; GRADE Working Group.
Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations in clinical practice guidelines. Part 1 of 3. An overview of the GRADE approach and grading quality of evidence about interventions.
Allergy. 2009 May;64(5):669-77.
- Kunz R, Djulbegovic B, Schunemann HJ, Stanulla M, Muti P, Guyatt G.
Misconceptions, challenges, uncertainty, and progress in guideline recommendations.
Semin Hematol. 2008 Jul;45(3):167-75.
- Falck-Ytter Y, Kunz R, Guyatt GH, Schünemann HJ.
How strong is the evidence?
Am J Gastroenterol. 2008 Jun;103(6):1334-8
- De Palma R, Liberati A, Ciccone G, Bandieri E, Belfiglio M, Ceccarelli M, Leoni M, Longo G, Magrini N, Marangolo M, Roila F; Programma Ricerca e Innovazione Emilia Romagna Oncology Research Group.
Developing clinical recommendations for breast, colorectal, and lung cancer adjuvant treatments using the GRADE system: a study from the Programma Ricerca e Innovazione Emilia Romagna Oncology Research Group.
J Clin Oncol. 2008 Mar 1;26(7):1025-6. [pdf]
- Swiglo BA, Murad MH, Schünemann HJ, Kunz R, Vigersky RA, Guyatt GH, Montori VM.
A case for clarity, consistency, and helpfulness: state-of-the-art clinical practice guidelines in endocrinology using the grading of recommendations, assessment, development, and evaluation system.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Mar;93(3):666-73. Epub 2008 Jan 2.
- Brozek JL, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bonini S, Canonica GW, Rasi G, van Wijk RG, Zuberbier T, Guyatt G, Bousquet J, Schünemann HJ.
Methodology for development of the Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma guideline 2008 update.
Allergy. 2008 Jan;63(1):38-46.
- Dahm P, Kunz R, Schünemann H.
Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for prostate cancer: the need for a unified approach.
Curr Opin Urol. 2007 May;17(3):200-7
- Schünemann HJ, Jaeschke R, Cook D, Bria W, El-Solh A, Ernst A, Fahy A, Gould M, Horan K, Krishnan J, Manthous C, Maurer J, McNicholas W, Oxman A, Rubenfeld G, Turino G, Guyatt G, on behalf of the ATS Documents Development and Implementation Committee.
An Official ATS Statement: Grading the Quality of Evidence and Strength of Recommendations in ATS Guidelines and Recommendations.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:605-614.
- Guyatt G, Gutterman D, Baumann M, Addrizzo-Harris D, Hylek E, Phillips B, Raskob G, Lewis S, Schunemann H.
Grading strength of recommendations and quality of evidence in clinical guidelines: report from an American college of chest physicians task force.
Chest. 2006 Jan;129(1):174-81.
- Guyatt G, Vist G, Falck-Ytter Y, Kunz R, Magrini N, Schunemann H for the the GRADE* working group.
An emerging consensus on grading recommendations? (Editorial).
ACP J Club. 2006 Jan-Feb;144(1):A08 [pdf]
- The GRADE* working group.
Systems for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations II: A pilot study of a new system for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations.
BMC Health Serv Res. 2005 Mar 23;5(1):25. [pdf]
- The GRADE* working group.
Systems for grading the quality of evidence and the strength of recommendations I: Critical appraisal of existing approaches.
BMC Health Serv Res. 2004 Dec 22;4(1):38. [pdf]
- The GRADE* working group.
Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.
BMJ 2004;328:1490-1494 printed, abridged version).
For the non-abridged version of this article, please go to the BMJ web site http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/328/7454/1490 or download a full PDF version from this link: http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/328/7454/1490.pdf or, if you don't have access, here [pdf]
Please note: Clinicians and policy-making users and anyone new to GRADE may want to consider first reading the 6-part BMJ series from 2008.
- Schünemann HJ, Best D, Vist G, Oxman AD for the GRADE working group.
Letters, numbers, symbols, and words: How best to communicate grades of evidence and recommendations?
Canadian Medical Association Journal(CMAJ) 2003;169(7):677-680
Abstracts and conferences
Oxman AD, Briss P, Eccles M, Grimshaw JM, Guyatt G, Phillips B, Schunemann H, Vist G, Zaza S.
Grading evidence and recommendations. BMC Meeting Abstracts: 9th International Cochrane Colloquium 2001, 1:pc148
Texts citing the work of the GRADE group
- Cuello García CA, Pacheco Alvarado KP, Pérez Gaxiola G.
Grading recommendations in clinical practice guidelines: randomised experimental evaluation of four different systems.
Arch Dis Child. 2011 Aug;96(8):723-8. Epub 2011 May 19.
- Dolovich, L.
Developing recommendations for the reimbursement of expanded professional pharmacist's services in Ontario.
CPJRPC 2011 in press
- Pai M, Minion J, Steingart K, Ramsay A.
New and improved tuberculosis diagnostics: evidence, policy, practice, and impact.
Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2010 May;16(3):271-84.
- Pai M, Ramsay A, O’Brien R.
Evidencebased tuberculosis diagnosis.
PLoS Med 2008 5(7): e156. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050156
- Chen Y.-L., Li Y.-P., Du L., Wang L., Wen J., Yang X.-Y.
Evolution of levels of evidence and strength of recommendations in medical research
Chin. J. Evid.-Based Med. 2008 8:2 (127-133)
- Commentary: Langhorne P. Explicit Priority Setting in Clinical Guidelines The Next Frontier?
- Barton M, et al. How to Read the New Recommendation Statement: Methods Update from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:123-127
- Karanicolas P, et al. The Pylorus: Take It or Leave It? Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Pylorus-Preserving versus Standard Whipple Pancreaticoduodenectomy for Pancreatic or Periampullary Cancer.
Annals of Surgical Oncology 2007;14:1825-1834
- Vanholder R. Approach for guideline development.
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007 May;22 Suppl 2:ii1-ii4.
- Goldsmith MR, Bankhead CR, Austoker J. Synthesising quantitative and qualitative research in evidence-based patient information.
J Epidemiol Community Health. 2007 Mar;61(3):262-70.
- Boulware L, et al. Systematic Review: The Value of the Periodic Health Evaluation.
Ann Intern Med. 2007;146:289-300.
- Glasziou P, Chalmers I, Rawlins M, McCulloch P. When are randomised trials unnecessary? Picking signal from noise.
- Schünemann HJ, et al. WHO Rapid Advice Guidelines for pharmacological management of sporadic human infection with avian influenza A (H5N1) virus.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2007 Jan;7(1):21-31.
- Uhlig K, Macleod A, Craig J, Lau J, Levey AS, Levin A, Moist L, Steinberg E, Walker R, Wanner C, Lameire N, Eknoyan G. Grading evidence and recommendations for clinical practice guidelines in nephrology. A position statement from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO).
Kidney Int. 2006 Dec;70(12):2058-65
- Wierman ME, et al. Androgen therapy in women: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice guideline.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Oct;91(10):3697-710.
- Huang H, et al. The Efficacy and Safety of Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Use To Prevent Cancer and Chronic Disease in Adults: A Systematic Review for a National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference.
Ann Intern Med. 2006 Sep 5;145(5):372-85.
- P. Glasziou, J. Vandenbroucke, and I. Chalmers. Assessing the quality of research.
BMJ, January 3, 2004; 328(7430): 39 - 41. (cites manuscript 1.)
- Guidelines for World Health Organization Guidelines
- Commentary: Ross E.G. Upshur: Are all evidence-based practices alike? Problems in the ranking of evidence.
CMAJ, Sep 2003; 169: 672 - 673. (related to manuscript 1.)
- http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/169/7/649 related to manuscript 1.)
Additional articles citing the BMJ 2004 GRADE article can be found here.
- DECIDE research project launched: Developing and Evaluating Communication Strategies to Support Informed Decisions and Practices Based on Evidence. DECIDE is a 5-year project (running from January 2011 to 2015) co-funded by the European Commission under the Seventh Framework Programme. Project Objective "To improve the dissemination of evidence-based recommendations by building on the work of the GRADE Working Group to develop and evaluate methods that address the targeted dissemination of guidelines." (PI: Oxman, A) 2011-2015
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Grant (PI: Falck-Ytter, Y) 2007-2009
- European Commission Research Grant (PI: Schünemann, HJ) 2006